Resolving a Party Wall Dispute

Party wall questions - retail exterior frontage
Party wall questions - exterior of semi detached town house
Party wall questions - garden view of residential property
Party wall questions - aerial view of period cottages
  • How do I serve a notice to my neighbours

    Open or Close
    It is best to discuss your planned work fully with your neighbours before you serve notice, in writing, about what you plan to do. If you have already ironed out possible snags with your neighbours, this should mean that they will give consent in response to your notice. You do not need to appoint a professional adviser to give the notice on your behalf but notice must be correct.

    Whilst there is no official form for giving notice under the Act, your notice must include the following details:
    your own name and address
    the building's address (if different)
    a clear statement that your notice is a notice under the provisions of the Act (you may want to mention the section(s) concerned)
    full details of what you propose to do (including plans where appropriate)
    when you propose to start.
    You may deliver the notice in person or send it by post. Where the neighbouring property is empty or the owner is not known, you may address the notice to "the owner" of the premises and fix it to a conspicuous part of the premises. You do not need to tell the local authority about your notice. You can download party wall forms here
  • When do I serve a notice to my neighbours

    Open or Close
    In most cases at least two months before the planned start date for your work. The notice is only valid for a year, so do not serve it too long before you wish to start.
  • What happens after I serve a notice

    Open or Close
    A person who receives a notice about intended work may give his consent in writing, or give a counter-notice setting out what additional or modified work he would like to be carried out.
    A person who receives a notice about intended work, and intends to serve a counter-notice must let his neighbour know within 14 days.

    If, after a period of 14 days from the service of your notice, the person receiving the notice has done nothing, a dispute is considered to have arisen and you will need to appoint surveyors.
    Before you serve your notices we recommend that you have all of your drawings and other details ready as the party wall surveyor for your neighbour will ask for these
  • What happens if my neighbour and I cannot agree

    Open or Close
    The best way of settling any point of difference is by friendly discussion with your neighbour. Any party wall agreements should always be put in writing.

    If you cannot reach agreement with your neighbour, the next best thing is to appoint, jointly, what the Party Wall Act calls an "agreed surveyor" to draw up a "party wall award". Preferably the agreed surveyor should not be the same person that you intend to employ to supervise your building work.

    Alternatively, each neighbour can appoint a party wall surveyor to draw up the award between them. The two party wall surveyors will nominate a 'third surveyor' who would be called in to arbitrate if the two party wall surveyors cannot agree.

    In all cases, surveyors appointed to negotiate and prepare an award or party wall agreement must behave impartially and consider the interests of both neighbours. They do not act as advocates for each side.
  • Who can I appoint as a party wall surveyor

    Open or Close
    The term "surveyor" is defined in the Act as any person who is not a party to the matter. This means that you can appoint almost anyone you like to act in this capacity. We recommend that you appoint a competent and experienced Chartered Surveyor. Chartered Surveyors have accredited training and qualifications, are professionally regulated by RICS. Collier Stevens are chartered surveyors experienced in party wall matters, get help here.

    It is suggested that you and your neighbour do not choose the person you have engaged to supervise the building works to be the "agreed surveyor" - it is difficult to be the person responsible for ensuring the completion of the work at the same time as giving full regard to the rights of the neighbours.
  • What does the party wall surveyor do

    Open or Close
    The party wall surveyor (or surveyors) will prepare an "award" (also known as a "party wall award" or sometimes known as a 'party wall agreement'. This is a document which:
    sets out the work that will be carried out
    says when and how the work is to be carried out (for example, not at weekends if the buildings are domestic properties)
    records the condition of next door before the work begins (so that any damage can be properly attributed and made good)
    allows access for the surveyors to inspect the works while they're going on (to see that they are in accordance with the award).
    may place other obligations such as insurance
    confirm who pays the surveyors costs
    It is a good idea to keep a copy of the award with your property deeds.
  • Who pays the surveyors fees

    Open or Close
    The surveyors will decide who pays the fees for drawing up the award and for checking that the work has been carried out in accordance with the award. Usually the person who undertakes the work will pay all reasonable costs associated with drawing up the award.
  • Are there any other costs

    Open or Close
    Sometimes other professionals are called into to advise - for instance structural engineers sometimes need to check complex structural calculations and proposals when the work is complicated. This often happens when a basement is planned. The surveyors will decide who pays the fees and included this in the party wall award, again it is usually the person doing the work who pays these costs.
  • Is the Party Wall Award or Agreement final

    Open or Close
    Either side has 14 days to appeal to the county court against an award. An appeal should only be made to the county court if an owner believes that the surveyors have acted beyond their powers. Sometimes if the work changes or you do something different the surveyors will agree an "Addendum Award" to cover this.
  • What if my neighbour will not co-operate

    Open or Close
    If a dispute has arisen and the neighbouring owner refuses to appoint a surveyor within a set time period then you can appoint a party wall surveyor on his behalf so that the procedure can go ahead. You cannot appoint an agreed surveyor in this instance. For further help please call us 020 8295 1200
  • Can I access next door to do my work

    Open or Close
    Under the Act, an adjoining occupier must, when necessary, let in your workmen, your own surveyor or architect etc., and any surveyors appointed as part of the dispute resolution procedure.

    You must give the adjoining owner and occupier notice of your intention to exercise these rights of entry. The Act says that 14 days' notice must usually be given.

    It is an offence, which can be prosecuted in the magistrates' court, to refuse entry to or obstruct someone who is entitled to enter premises under the Act, if the offender knows that the person is entitled to be there.

    If the adjoining property is empty, your workmen and your own surveyor or architect etc. may enter the premises if they are accompanied by a police officer!
  • Can I ask the person doing the work for a deposit against damage

    Open or Close
    If there is a risk that you will be left in difficulties if the building owner stops work at an inconvenient stage, you can ask him, before he starts work, to make available an amount of money that would allow you to restore the status quo if he fails to do so. The money remains his throughout, but if, for example, you need to have a wall rebuilt, you can draw on that security to pay for the rebuilding. The details of this will be resolved by the party wall surveyors and included in the party wall award.
68 High Street

First Floor, The Old Auction Rooms
Marine Walk Street
CT21 5NW
Founded by Steven Way in 1995, the Collier Stevens practice was born with the specific aim of providing client friendly, easy to understand and fairly charged professional advice.

The Practice is regulated by the RICS & is a licenced provider of RICS HomeBuyer Reports.