A Party Wall Agreement - Party Wall Advice

Party wall - blue coastal house exterior
Party wall - interior diagrams of roof structure party wall
Party wall - exterior of semi-detached bungalow
Party wall - exterior of row of modern terraced houses
The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 ("the Act") came into force in 1997 throughout England and Wales and obligates you to formally notify and receive the consent of your neighbours if the work includes:
work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property (section 2 of the Act)
building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property (section 1 of the Act)
excavating near a neighbouring building (section 6 of the Act),[iframe]

Party Wall Agreements and Party Wall Notice Forms

If you are doing building work it is your responsibility, not the Local Authorities, to find out whether that work falls within the Act and whether you need a party wall agreement, properly known as a 'Party Wall Award'

If it does, you must properly notify all affected neighbours, a quick word over the garden fence is not satisfactory. You can download party wall forms and templates here or you may prefer to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor experienced in Party Wall matters. If you get it wrong you may have to stop your building works. We offer a very competitive fixed fee service for residential work of a simple nature.

To see the text of the Act please click the link on the right.

These pages, which we are based on the governments' explanatory booklet aim to explain simply how the Act might affect you if you are doing building work or if you have received a party wall notice.
68 High Street

First Floor, The Old Auction Rooms
Marine Walk Street
CT21 5NW
Founded by Steven Way in 1995, the Collier Stevens practice was born with the specific aim of providing client friendly, easy to understand and fairly charged professional advice.

The Practice is regulated by the RICS & is a licenced provider of RICS HomeBuyer Reports.