Grover Court in Lewisham is a development of self contained flats built in the late thirties. We provide residential freehold / leasehold maintenance advice to the directors and managing agents, the block is fairly typical of lots of London developments of the time comprising two or three storeys of two bed flats with a concrete fire exits and balcony to the rear. This one is interesting though because of the foundation plaque which bears the words “This stone was laid by the misses Peggy and Pat Hopwood July 1938”. Whilst this helps us date the building fairly accurately it also intrigues the surveyor, who were the misses?
We’ve done the google thing and not turned up much at all except taht apparently a Peggy and a Pat Hopwood were in the same lacrosse team at the Downs Ladies School Seaford 1937 – 1945 “1st lacrosse XII standing outside the school’s main entrance: K Moore, J Cavaliero, R Farquharson, J Previté, P Smith, S Dalby, G Schermuly, Peggy Hopwood, P Samson, Pat Hopwood, A Davies, H Thelfall” Too much of a coincidence for it not to be them so we thought it would be fairly easy to track them from there – probably a wealthy father and property developer who developed Grover Court and could afford to send his “misses” to a private school… and there the trail goes cold. Any ideas?